Friday 10 September 2010

Thought provoking post from Dave Perry on his Visual Theology blog


Dave wrote.....

On Thursday I got into a fascinating conversation with the chatty young stylist who was cutting my hair, my regular guy being off sick. She asked what I do and so I said that I was a Methodist Minister. As someone who never goes to church herself my answer lead her to ask a series of great questions about weddings and churchgoing. She was genuinely interested in what the experience would entail and why anyone would choose it. "Isn't it hypocritical getting married in church if you don't go?" she asked. I found myself turning the question around and saying that perhaps the reason people don't go is that we have made the experience unattractive and irrelevant to her generation. In other words it isn't their fault but ours. This unexpected lack of blame and acceptance of responsibility seemed to get good traction with her and I went on to say just a little bit about faith as love which changes the world, shifting the focus away from church going as such to a more engaged kingdom-centric view of discipleship, but without any of the jargon. 

To read the rest of what Dave had to say please go to his excellent blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment